Somewhere in the dark hole of my laptop is a post, eloquent, witty, and so well written you would have laughed, cried, and been moved. Instead, you are stuck with this….two weeks of run down, and the desperation of needing to post and having about a trillion things to do before heading into Vegas again for the World Finals.
Here ya go. Enoch, (Enok if you look in Brad’s phone book) came down to visit, and has been helping out around here. He’s like 4/4 on the projects around here. Now if only I could somehow sneak getting the Versa Climber installed into the To-Do list…that would be kinda awesome. He’s fixed up the water damage on the novelties trailer, built a fry griller for the BBQ, and done a variety of other things. I would like to say overall production has improved, but there might be some less productive hours because of general socializing, but really it’s all good, because he’s pretty hilarious,
Last weekend the upholstery guy made it up for a bit with the upholstery. I managed to get a quick shot of the headliner. It still needs cleaned up and finished off, but the design is looking good, and I can’t wait tot see the whole truck done.
As you can see in the picture, Metal has gotten more of the Lexan along the floor installed and that the back windows are coming in. It’s a very time consuming process , but it’s coming.
Brad spent a couple days on just fabricating the battery cables. Apparently, cables for a 12 battery setup just don’t come stock…what’s that all about? However, it’s very labor intensive to build. Cut the wire, solder it into place, let it cool, and do it again. I could tell Brad was getting a little burned out, but that’s the tedious stuff that is left. Sure, you get those few “WOW” moments, but most of the stuff is limited to “wow” . No CAPS. All lower case, and possibly in a whisper.
I would like to take a quick time-out to officially introduce one of our sponsors- Optima batteries. It is the only battery we used in our race trucks and the only batteries on this truck. These blue tops not only look pretty, but definitely do their job! We have a lot of power needed in this truck and the only battery up to the task is Optima. Make sure you check them out on their website at www.optimabatteries.com There will be more on these guys as we move forward into the electronic portion of the build.
One thing that this week has afforded is fabulous weather. The sun has been shining and the wind has been hit and miss. The delightful rays have brought some excellent temperatures, which of course meant the first seasonal trip to the river with Hulkster. Let’s just say I have never seen a fat dog move so fast. He skipped all the steps out of the camper and dang near jumped into the van. What that also meant was he sulked the whole way back and gave me the stink eye for the next 2 days while he pouted about not going back immediately.
While we are on the topic of side tangents and off adventures, the four of us took a morning to test out the fishing at Temple Bar. It kiiiiiiiinda flopped entirely, but it was a beautiful morning, and it gave me the rare option to eat junk food for breakfast. Who doesn’t love that? In the distance all we could see were fish jumping, and I’m pretty sure there were a few specifically throwing a middle fin in our general direction.
Back to work. I think when I posted last the shocks were on…but in case they weren’t they are now. I snapped a quick picture of the Schrader valve for the shocks to show a little info tidbit. You will note in the picture there is a slot that runs perpendicular to the threading. What this does if you have overfilled the shocks, it breaks the seal when you go to unscrew it, bypassing the o-ring to release the pressure. Kinda a genius idea, especially if you knew people in the industry. 😀
We also bought this exhaust wrap that is a fantabulous color, and look, and granted I have to buy another roll, the exhaust tube that was done, looks spectacular. Unfortunately, the special coating we had put on it, really didn’t work out in the end, so you do what ya gotta do.
Also installed is a glass windshield. We debated over using Lexan, but glass seemed the better choice.
The biggest “wha-hoo” moment, was the axles being installed under the truck. After looking pretty for so long on the stand, it was time to put em on the truck. It was a 3.5 person process (mostly three with the occasional fourth) and really, went pretty well. Nobody dinged anything, grazed the powder coating, or broke a part (either on the truck or themselves) The guys got the four link bars in place before the axles were slid into place. To be honest, the effort really looked effortless, and within only a few minutes 2 axles, all the four link bars, and everything was where it should be. Of course a couple adjustments were made once on the truck, but that’s to be expected. It’s really starting to become a truck. YAY.
And finally, yesterday we were back at the hardware store. Oh yeah. You know it’s my favorite. Of course it started out with buying my Mike and Ikes from the quarter machine on the way in. While Brad and Enoch were off meandering for boring stuff I found these nuts ironically called castle nuts….well you can imagine. I didn’t get too carried away due to lack of space, but you can see the fruits of my labor here. Then upon checkout I did note that they have live cameras pointing down the bolts and nuts aise…so I wonder how many of my antics they just wonder what kind of idiot I am. Oh well. Maybe next time there will be a bigger spot on the shelf and I can add a few more towers and a drawbridge.
Ok. Well sorry for the rough version of this, but I have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much I have to get done today, on top of some laundry, a jog, and a shower. So for now, I will leave you with this, and update what comes up later, and possibly go back in time to update the stuff I forgot!