Winding Down 2013…Maybe I should update the inaugural ride date.?

It is really difficult to believe that 2013 is rapidly waning into the background and 2014 is just days away. It’s also really difficult to see how long this project has taken, that we are almost in it an entire year. Oy vey! I’ll get one more blog in before the new year, but for now, I’ll stick with the last week of adventures and later, we can reminisce about 13.

While the past couple days have slowed to a near halt,

Hurry up and wait

Hurry up and wait

it was a whirlwind prior and zero time for resting. Last week, we trekked over the Phoenix to grab a torque converter from Hughes, and shot down to Tucson to grab the tranny from Herman Automatic. Talk about a fun day of errands. However Herman was an incredibly nice and knowledgeable guy, and it is always great to stop in and see Sam and Peggy Sturges. Sam even let us in on a suuuuuper delicious place with some awesome subs and grinders. NOM NOM NOM, which was fantastic, except, the next day when we were in Vegas….there was no delicious grinder to be found when we were craving them. On the way back from Tucson, we made a quick stop to finish up some procrastinated Christmas shopping, and while I was running around World Market like a crazy person, Brad had the Hulkster out and noticed a large hard growth on his rib. It wasn’t there earlier, and so of course we both panicked, and googled the living crap out of the option we were looking at. Unfortunately WebMD doesn’t have a symptom checker for dogs, which is probably good so we didn’t get too crazy. Either way, a lump that fast, hard, and large wasn’t good. To top it off, we had to be back in Vegas the following morning at 8 am to go over the monster truck. After not sleeping the night before (malfunctioning air mattress on the road) and getting back at midnight, sleep wasn’t looking like it was in our future.

When we got back, Brad crashed, and I stayed up wrapping Christmas crap because it had to get shipped the next day to make it by Christmas (which of course it didn’t….stupid) Somewhere around 4 I went to bed, just to get up by 6:30 and get rolling to Vegas.

When we got to the powder coater, the truck was blasted and looking good. The body came out straighter than we anticipated (it had about 4 inches of bondo on it for whatever reason) and lost about 250lbs  in the process. (If only I could work that program) The straight body will allow for less body work overall to be done before we get the wrap on it. Here are a few pictures.



While Brad finished up going over all the details of the powdercoating, I went back to the van to call the vet to see if they had a Saturday appointment available. Big score. 11:15 apt and it is right around the corner from Trader Joes (specialty grocery shopping is my crack) We got a few errands in and headed over (Brad conveniently left me with a max of 11 minutes shop time at TJ’s) The vet was quick, and Hulk loves going for whatever reason. I think it’s the treat at the end. Showers? Not so much….vaccines? yes please… Go figure. Either way, surgery was suggested, and we booked the pricey procedure for Christmas Eve.

Over the rest of the weekend and on Monday, Brad worked diligently on his motor and tranny aesthetics.


By diligently, I mean, he kinda did stuff and then stood around for awhile, or came and bugged me while I rushed to finish last minute holiday goodies. Note to self (and anyone dumb enough to try making Christmas platters in a camper…) Don’t try 50 new recipes at once. It doesn’t work out so awesomely. However, they all tasted good, and smelled amazing!

Bulldog Photobombing.. or just waiting for a snickerdoodle ball to roll off

Bulldog Photobombing.. or just waiting for a snickerdoodle ball to roll off

Back to Brad… so if you read this blog, or know Brad personally, you know he is anal retentive about some things. One of those is the way his stuff looks. If it isn’t AWESOME, it’s not acceptable. 99% of the time that is great, and the 1% is more or less just bad timing and me wanting to kill him because I don’t care EVERY time. But in this case, it really is the frosting on the cake, and not just waxy out of a can rainbow chip type, (which is deluscious on graham crackers) but whipped Belgian chocolate ganache. Pure gourmet here.  The motor is gorgeous and the tranny is fabulous. He even paid a minor tribute to the old Bombshell truck by using a tiny bit of the anodized purple on the tranny. (I’ll take what I can get)



Soooo pretty

Soooo pretty


20131229_124911 20131229_124904

So while, Brad geared up for the assembly of the truck, and getting Hulk ready for surgery, Brad’s grandpa passed away Sunday at the age of 83, after about a year of battling cancer and a various other health issues. Up till then he lived a great, healthy life, and will be missed.

Tueday morning, we shot over to the powder coating place after dropping Hulk off at the vet. We were surprised to see the truck outside primered and ready for the final coat. Of course we stopped by to grab a picture and get an ETA on the behemoth. The word on the street was this Monday…as in tomorrow. YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Can I say that again? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! It will be sooooo awesome to have this thing back and get putting it together. Can’t wait!

Primered and Ready

Primered and Ready

After the powder coater, we visited a few other parts places, the metal fab shop, and camping world (trying to locate a new converter power center for the camper…..add that to the pile of awesometasticness. Our converter went out on Monday so we pretty much got the TV and heater plugged into an extension cord, and rotate all the items that get charged) Anyway, We dropped off some goodies at our errand stops, and killed a bit more time before picking up the dog. Dogs on drugs are pretty dang funny. Hulk was having a rough time being coherent, and slept in the same position until the following morning. He also managed to have a piece of cheese on his tongue for about 3 hours and didn’t even attempt to eat it. Miracle all by itself.

If only he could talk

If only he could talk

Didn't move an inch

Didn’t move an inch- tongue or anything

Christmas was uneventful. Hulk opened his gifts in slow motion. We ate crap. Then I took down the “tree” and lights. Time to get back to work. Enough of this nonsense. Brad continued to work on the motor, polishing and fitting where needed. I worked on tracking missing packages, locating parts, and responding to the 600 emails I neglected in the melee.

Now, here we are. Hopefully (fingers crossed) we can pick up the chassis on Tuesday and DIG IN. Of course I will let you know, and on that day we will do something special for the end of the year round-up. Oh, and for those who care (which we all know you ALL do) Hulk’s histology came back and he is cancer free. Phew.  And he is back to driving us nuts. Alright, goodnight, I have other crap to get done before bed.

Already back to laying on anything he shouldn't be

Already back to laying on anything he shouldn’t be



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s